Bam-i is a noodle dish. From what I read online, it originated in Cebu, my hometown. It is consist of egg noodles (canton), glass vermicelli (sotanghon), meat and vegetables. There are various ways to cook Bam-i. Some would go all out with the ingredients, others would just go as simple as putting few pieces of meat and vegetables. Majority of Karenderia (small eatery) in Cebu are selling Bam-i. Don't expect too much though, the Bam-i from these eatery are very simple and are sold cheap. You can buy it at P5.00 or P10.00 depending on how much ingredients they put in.
Cebuanos love Bam-i. In special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, fiestas, it is almost always present.
So my recipe is somewhat in the middle, I think. Not so sophisticated nor too simple. Here it is...
1/4 kg pork belly, sliced
1 beef cube
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 cup carrots
1/4 cup red bell pepper
2 cups chinese pechay
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 medium size onion
2 rolls Sotanghon (glass vermicelli)
1/8 kg Egg Noodles or about 2 1/2 cups (you can always add more)
2 cups water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1. Saute garlic and onion.
2. Add pork and saute until light brown.
3. Add soy sauce and cook for another 3 mins.
4. Add water. Let it boil for 5 mins.
5. Add carrots and cook for another 2 mins.
6. Add beef broth cube and mix.
7. Add red bell pepper.
8. Add more water if necessary. I added 3/4 cup of water.
9. Add egg noodles.
10. Combine and cook for 2 mins.
11. Add sotanghon.
12. Combine and cook for 2 mins.
13. Season with oyster sauce.
14. Add chinese pechay
15. Add black pepper
16. Serve hot and enjoy!
Thank you so much and don't be left out, please subscribe:) Talk to you soon.